Friday, February 1, 2013

Memories Written by Charles Henry John West



A Letter from C.H.J West to Thomas Charles West, July 12, 1893

Your letter dated June 18th came to hand, we were glad to hear from and learn that you were all well, and looking forward to our visit on the 24th.  We have trusted to our memory for the following of particulars of the past events.  In the fall of 1863, I worked for Bishop Miller making molasses, my first work in Utah.  I got for my pay, produce.  We lived in the house owned by the Bishop’s wife’s father.  Our furniture consisted of boxes and one raw hide bottom chair loaned to us and our bake kettle.  We had two candles given to us by sister Marvells Miller, the Bishop’s wife.  At this time our daughter, Mary Ann Young West took worse, she had been sick during our journey across the plains, with diarrhea.  We went to bed early to save candles and fuel, during the night she wanted to get out, we persuaded her to go to sleep again but before going to sleep, she called us all by name and said, goodnight.  In the morning I found her dead in my arms.  Oct. 22, 1863, two days afterwards she was buried in  Provo Cemetery, Utah, Bishop Miller took us to the cemetery in his carriage just ourselves.  She was put away without one word of prayer which we both felt very keenly after we arrived home, towards evening between the lights mother and I were feeling very sourful at our loss, and the way our child was put away, we were thinking over our past lives and trying to call up anything we had done to suffer this loss here with no one to comfort us while in the frame of mind, a gentleman walked in our room and sat down in the rawhide chair and commenced talking to us.  We thought him one to one to cheer us up during he gave us some word of comfort and said he had come to cheer us up during his talk which lasted out two minutes we felt a different feeling, all our troubles seemed to vanish.  He seemed well acquainted with our history, and blessed us in the name of God. 

In leaving us I noticed that he walked backwards towards the door.  I followed and looked out in the street to see which way he went, but could not see him.  He stood about 6 ft. high and very erect had on a gray suit of home made cloth, he wore a long beard and very gray.  We shall never forget the joy and peace of mind and comfort his words and presence caused us.  As soon as I saw the Bishop, I thanked him for his kindness to us but more especially for sending us, so good a man to comfort us.  Thinking him a teacher I gave him a description of this man, he said that we had been Brother West, we have no teacher in the ward that answers your description.  He said that we had been highly favored with a visit of one of the Nephites that was to tarry on the earth till the Savior comes.  We stayed in Provo, Utah, till the fall of the following year 1864.  Mother and I taught school in the 4th ward and did some laboring work.

We all turned out during the harvesting to glean wheat and gleaned 21 ½ bushels, during that year flour had gone up to 25 dollars for cwt.  I walked to Salt Lake, a distance of 50 miles, to see Mother’s brother Jabez Dangerfield and other old friends.  While there I came across George Clark of London, he persuaded me to go and live in Provo Valley where he lived.  So I went with our family to live there that fall.  I took up a lot there and hit it recorded after taking in and commencing to build, the folks there said, I was jumping a claim so to save feelings I gave it up bit it still stands recorded in my name.  I rented a small log house expecting mother to be sick, I bought me a stove for which I paid a cow, my bake kettle and 12 dollars not having a pipe and not being able to get any I made one of wood.  Mother was taken sick, she had another daughter, named her Mary Rebecca, born Jan. 9, 1866.  While mother laid sick in bed the roof of the house took fire but through the kindness of our neighbors they soon had it out.  I was away trying to get something for the family.

While at Provo Valley, I worked for Mr. Clement making lime, we burst it with wood.  I had to take the night shift while resting one night against our shanty I fell off in a doze when I awoke an Indian was standing over me loading up his gun.  For the time it scared me, he said he wanted to go in our shanty.  I told him my mate was there and he could not go in.  He said, he was mad his squaw had left him and he intended to shoot her.

I learned the next day that he stopped at a farm house and made them get up and bake biscuits and cook meat for him, their men being away from home.  I went in the canyon and cut about 800 poles thinking they would be useful when I got some land, while cutting I cut my finger on my right hand and laid it open about 2 inches.  I wrapped it up and went to work again.  I got one load to the house, not being able to get the rest, we had a very severe winter, I hauled wood for firing from the river bottoms on shares.  It was so cold that as soon as the sun went down I had to walk or be frozen.  The tears on my eyes would freeze on my cheeks.

One day the cow could not get home, the snow being so deep I had to shovel the snow away and tramp it before I got her home to feed.  Being a very poor place to get along I went in the spring to Salt Lake to get work, while there I came across Jessie C. Little and agreed to work his farm on shares.  I stayed there and got the farm in good shape when I received a letter from mother telling me that the Indians were very troublesome, and that they had to move out of their home.  My son Thomas borrowed oxen and a wagon and took the family to Brother James Coles’ house to live, I soon had an outfit ready to move them in to Salt Lake.  I borrowed 2 yoke of oxen and a wagon and started to Provo Valley and found them well but very scared.

On account of the owner having to move in from the outside they had our furniture and bedding out in the street when it was raining.

Mother and I received our endowments, March 23, 1864, I will give you more particulars as you go along.  We all expect to be out to your place on the 24th also Carrie Jabez will take his team from here.

Love to all from your Father, Charles H. J. West.

No comments:

Post a Comment